I have always loved the soup, salad, and breadsticks at Olive Garden. But, we don't seem to go there very often.... I was thrilled when I began seeing this recipe pop up on several of the food blogs I frequent. I finally tried it a few weeks ago. I think it tastes just like Olive Garden's- and I had actually been there earlier that week :)
6 to 8 servings
1 pound ground spicy italian sausage (I used more- like nearly 2 pounds)
1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper (I omitted this, because the sausage was HOT)
1 large diced white onions
4 tbsp. bacon pieces (I used 4 slices of bacon chopped finely)
2 tsp. minced garlic
10 cups chicken broth (I added 2 tbsp. better than bullion)
1/2- 1 cup heavy cream (I used a half)
4 russet potatoes (I only used 2, 4 was a lot)
4 cups kale
In a large pot:
1. cook sausage until well browned, remove from pot
2. cook bacon until crisp, remove from pot.
3. cook onions and garlic until soft (I cooked it in the bacon grease, but you can drain that add oil)
4. return bacon to the pot, and add chicken broth. Cook until boiling.
5. Add potatoes, cook until soft- about 30 minutes.
6. Add cream and sausage, heat, but do not boil.
7. Add kale right before serving.
Enjoy with freshly grated parm. cheese!