Oh how I miss Publix! It is the only thing I really miss about not living in the south (besides my family and friends, of course). One of the things I loved at Publix were the Apron's meals. They were always good, easy, and they kept all the ingredients you needed for them together. I also loved that were side suggestions. If you live by near a Publix and haven't tried the Apron's meals- DO, you won't regret it. Anyway, I have been making this recipe for years, and it is always a crowd pleaser.
1 pound ground round
one 4-ounce can diced chiles
1 cup frozen diced onion (I just use a medium onion)
sone 26-ounce jar tomato basil pasta sauce (0r whatever you have on hand)
one 14 1/2-ounce can stewed tomatoes
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1/2 tablespoon pesto
12 ounces dry ziti pasta (approximately 3/4 box)
vegetable cooking spray
3 cups fancy shredded Italian blend cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Fill one saucepan 3/4 full with hot water. Cover and place on high heat to boil for pasta.
3. In second saucepan over medium-high heat, add ground round, chilies and onion. Cook until meat is browned, breaking up meat as it cooks. Drain well.
4. Add pasta sauce, canned tomatoes, Italian seasoning and pesto into the saucepan, and mix well. Reduce heat to simmer.
5. Check pasta water for boil. When boiling, add ziti and cook per packagedirections for al dente (about 9 minutes) and drain.
6. Spray baking dish with cooking spray.
7. Pour ziti into baking dish, top with sauce, mix to coat all pasta. Cover with shredded cheese, place in oven and bake approximately 12-15 minutes. (Makes 8 servings.)